What Will Happen To My Minor Children If I Die? - Promise Law

Fate of Minor Children When Guardian Dies

What Will Happen To My Minor Children If I Die?

If your question isn’t answered below, please give us a call at 757-690-2470 or contact us online. We’re here to help with everything you need for everything that matters.

If parents of children who are under the age of 18 die, then the court will typically appoint the guardian nominated in the parents’ will. If there is no will, the court chooses a guardian that appears to be the best choice to raise the child.

Some people also wonder if they have to go through probate. Probate is a court-supervised process of administration of a deceased person’s estate. Whether you need probate or not depends on how the person’s assets were structured at their passing.

Contact Promise Law so that we can help you determine if you need to go through probate or if there are other ways to handle administration.